Sunday, August 9, 2009

Today is the first of three birthdays in Africa! Here’s how I’m spending it: My parents both called me today to wish me a happy birthday yesterday, which was exciting. There was much talk and hype about a dance party at our trainers’ (PCVs that got here at this time last year or two years ago, that are now training us) house last night but everywhere I go I have to leave early enough to make it home before sundown. No dance party for me. I had to be the first to leave while everyone else was sitting on the rooftop, enjoying the company, the drinks, and the view complete with a stunning West African sunset. But I’m not bitter or anything. So today I woke up at dawn, talked my way out of going to mass (a feat), read my birthday cards (thank you!!!), hand washed my clothes for hours, and had a special lunch with my family. Well with my maman, only she eats with me. The kids don’t eat at the table. They made pate rouge (delicious) and chicken (bought live this morning and killed on the premises), got a cake (no frosting, but also delicious), and hired a photographer (awkward, not gonna lie). They are really into cheesy pretend-like-you’re-blowing-out-the candle or cutting-the-cake for several minutes poses. Can’t wait to see them developed (in a month, if ever). I went to the marche with a friend who you’ll probably hear much more about, Ragan, and am now at the computer room desperately trying to reply to emails. I have to get home now, sunset is approaching. I might treat myself to a movie on my laptop later. I’m sure you can guess which one, at least my Landfair ladies.

Online chatting is kind of out of the question for me since wifi is next to nonexistent and the internet is slow. I have a phone that you can call me with on Skype for cheap. If you want the number, let me know! (I don’t want to put it online.) Weekends are best to call and anytime 5pm to 10pm (8am to 1pm your time). Also, I read all my emails but wasn’t able to respond to any today! Not enough time! So Mom, Dad, Grandma, Kris, Lynn, Kacy, and Rachel, I will write as soon as I can J And I love your comments on here and facebook, but I don’t have time (I mean, I have a ton of time but the internet is soooooo slow) to respond but please keep them coming. I love the updates on your lives and your words of encouragement (too many to name, but you know who you are).

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim! I know its been ages but I'm really enjoying reading your blog entries about your time in Africa! You'll have an amazing experience that you will surely never forget!!! Good luck over there and stay safe and healthy, most importantly...keep posting! :) Have an awesome birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim - We are loving hearing about your adventures! Have fun and learn lots, and be safe. Love, Aunt Carol and Uncle Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim - We've finally figured out how to post a comment! Our biggest accomplishment of the day!

    ReplyDelete