Thursday, October 1, 2009

A West African Cost-Benefit Analysis

Though I just moved to Ze Thursday (more on that later!), I've had to spend the last 24 hours at the Peace Corps office in Cotonou. What does this entail? Air conditioning 24/7, a hot water pressure shower, a stocked kitchen complete with oven (the only one I've seen since being in Benin), the company of other Americans, a DVD player if I so choose, computers with the fastest internet in the country, insect- and lizard-free rooms, cold water (FREE!), a chance to stock up on books at the book swap, and everything I could need that I can't get in Ze is just a moto ride away: the bank, fabric to make clothes, schwarma, Thai food, burgers, supermarkets with spices, baking supplies, coffee mugs, shampoo and conditioner, and all varieties of fruit.

And what did I have to do to earn such a vacation? Extreme diarrhea for 4 days. I won't go into further detail only to say that words like "inflammatory" and "bacterial" have been thrown around, and that the position of my latrine outside my house, two locked doors and about 40 steps away from my bed, has been an issue. All that included, I would say that it was worth it if I was able to enjoy any of the foods of Cotonou, particularly schwarma. But I couldn't. So, no, not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment